Thank you for choosing Franciscan Healthcare for your healthcare needs. Franciscan Healthcare takes pride in providing the highest quality healthcare to all those in need regardless of age, race, creed, sex, or the ability to pay.
We understand that the financial side of the hospital stay can be very confusing. We want to assist you in understanding your hospital bill, insurance, and payment expectations. This area of our website has been established to help answer any financial questions you may have or help direct you to the right resource. We hope this assistance will alleviate some of your concerns and help you to focus on our first priority, your return to good health.
Please visit any of the links below to learn more about the billing and collection process at Franciscan Healthcare. Our Patient Accounting Staff is available to answer any questions you may have in confidence before or after any visits you may have with us. Please see the Contact Us link below for details on how to reach the Patient Accounting Staff.
An estimate of the cost of the procedure you are planning to have is available by contacting our Utilization Review Department at 402-372-2404. Please be as specific as possible when stating the type of procedure you are going to have performed. The pricing estimate will be based on average charges for that procedure. The actual charge may vary based on the actual services provided - each test or medication ordered by your physician, time in surgery, each day spent in the hospital, etc. While charges are often similar for patients with the same condition, the specific services needed —and the associated charges—are likely to differ. Some of the factors that may make the total charge for your service higher or lower than the average patient include:
- How long you stay in the hospital
- The length of time spent in surgery and recovery
- Any supplies and medications
- The lab and radiology tests that are ordered by your physician
- Whether there are any complications that require additional treatment
- Other conditions you may have in addition to what you are being treated for that may affect your treatment plan
The pricing estimate will only include hospital charges. It is important to note that besides the bill you receive from the hospital you may also receive separate bills from physicians and other health care providers involved in your care. The following is a partial list of other providers who may bill you separately:
- Your family practice physician when they round on you in the hospital
- The surgeon that performs your procedure
- The radiologist who reads your x-rays
- Laboratory tests that cannot be performed in the hospital that are sent to an outside laboratory
The amount you pay for your service also will depend upon which, if any, insurance plan is covering your care and how your benefits are structured. The hospital’s charges are the same for all patients, but the patient’s financial responsibility for services provided may vary, depending upon payment plans negotiated with individual health insurers as well as reimbursement schedules set forth by public payers such as Medicare and Medicaid. Additionally, you may have a deductible that must be met before your insurance covers the cost of care, and/or you may be liable for paying a flat dollar copayment or a percentage of the cost of any services provided (coinsurance.)
It is also important to know whether your hospital and physician(s) are part of your insurance company’s health care network. If you seek care out of network, you will likely be liable for a greater share of the cost of your care. We recommend that you check with your health insurance plan to verify whether the providers involved in your care are in their network.
For a list of insurance plans contracted with Franciscan Healthcare, go to the link below:
Click here to access a pricing tool that will display the following three options:
- All Services Items: Detail on all items and services performed at Franciscan Healthcare in a machine readable format. This option is not intended for patient use.
- Shoppable Items: Detail on the 300 most commonly provided procedures at Franciscan Healthcare. To utilize this option you will need to select one of the insurances that we are contracted with and the procedure you wish to view. You can simply start typing the first word of the procedure and a list of procedures will appear. Remember that only the 300 most commonly provided procedures will be displayed under this view.
- Chargemaster: A listing of all charge items in the chargemaster for Franciscan Healthcare.